Help Mississippi Racquetball Stay alive
Dear Friends of the great sport of racquetball,
The Mississippi Racquetball Association has lost our home.
Due to the COVID-19 epidemic, the University of Mississippi Wellness Center in Jackson, where our home courts were located for the last three decades, is permanently closed ( https://www.wjtv.com/news/university-wellness-center-flowood-to-close-permanently/ ).
This was the only location in the Jackson Mississippi area where groups of players could meet, train, play, and host tournaments.
This is a devastating loss for us. Many great matches, tournaments, and memories are associated with what was previously called The Courthouse.
It is especially devastating considering all of the accomplishments and momentum we had accumulated over the last few years including:
- The revival of the very strong league with 35 plus members
- New Board of Directors
- Several successful tournaments one of which featured top Open players from around the nation and two IRT professionals
- Skills training clinics
- Implementation of youth program with multiple schools interested
- Plans to rebuild court at a local church for the kids in their community
Yet, there is cause for hope!
We are given the opportunity by the Downtown Fitness to relocate to two disused courts in downtown Jackson, Mississippi. However, these courts are in serious disrepair and in need of rehab, glass repair, new walls, and floors. Here are some pictures of their current condition:
We have started a GoFundMe campaign that will allow us to have the money it will take to rehab these courts so we can continue to build our community and friendships, train, and compete, while also continue to increase the awareness of the wonderful sport of racquetball. With your donation, we will again be able to grow this sport, play friendly local matches, and host some of the best players in the country in several small tournaments each year.
We would like to thank all of you who make donations that would allow us to continue the pursuit of this sport in Mississippi. We are so proud of the group of men and women, young and old, of all ethnicities, who regularly participate and we will do whatever it takes to remain a positive force of competitive goodwill to our community.
Mississippi Racquetball Mission Statement
The Mississippi Racquetball Association, Inc. (MRA) is the Mississippi governing body for the sport of racquetball and is committed to excellence and service to our members. We provide opportunities for members and enthusiasts to actively participate in the sport, through sanctioning of events, administration of programs and development of competitive teams. To provide racquetball opportunities in the sport of racquetball for all levels of participation through:
- MEMBERSHIP SUPPORT - MRA values its members and will strive to provide the best possible member services at all levels.
- MEMBERSHIP RECRUITMENT - MRA believes that racquetball is a lifetime endeavor and the benefits of health, recreation, and competition, should be available to all. MRA will strive to expand its membership in order to share these benefits with as many players and supporters as possible.
- PROMOTION OF THE SPORT - In order to sustain a strong player base MRA will promote the numerous benefits of participation through this web site and newsletters.
- SPONSORS AND SUPPORTERS - MRA values its relationship with sponsors and will continue to maximize benefits and exposure.